Build the movement for progressive change
The Long Island Civic Engagement Table and the Center for Popular Democracy announce the 2014 Movement Building Fellowship Program, a five-month fellowship program for Long- Island based young people and grassroots activists who are interested in exploring a career in community and electoral organizing and contributing to building the power of low-income communities of color on Long Island.
Fellows will learn key organizing skills and immediately put them to action while working with dynamic organizations on Long Island. The Program will run from June 9th to November 7th, 2014, and will include:
Highlights of the Fellowship:
- 3-day long orientation retreat from June 9th to June 11th
- Full-time organizing experience with one of the host organizations: Make the Road New York, New York Communities for Change, or Long Island Civic Engagement Table.
- Mentorship and support from seasoned community organizers
- Intensive day-long organizing skills trainings every other week
- Two-week long immersion with a premier community organization outside of Long Island
- Weekly stipend of $400.
- Assistance in applying for jobs at the end of the program, including career counseling, resume review, networking, and references.
Training Topics Include:
- Understanding Long Island – Our context, its challenges and opportunities
- Social Change Methodologies – How we win a more just world
- Building a base for change – Organizing theory and practice
- Leadership Development
- Campaign planning & development – Issue identification, power analysis, tactics, strategy
- Planning and Evaluation, Metrics
- Popular Education and Participatory Action Research
We are looking for applicants who are willing to work hard (this will be more work than a nine-to-five job) and are passionate about social justice. Previous experience is not required, although we anticipate that successful candidates will have been active in their communities or schools. Applicants who are bi-lingual in Spanish are especially encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
To apply for the 2014 Movement Building Fellowship Program, please download and complete the application packet. Send your application and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 15th.